The Democracy Fund is seeking motivated In-House Counsel/Civil Liberties Lawyers to join a new and growing legal team in Toronto. Several positions are being filled.
The ideal candidates will have an entrepreneurial work ethic, 0-5+ (post call) years of demonstrated litigation experience, and a passion for civil liberties advocacy. The successful candidates will constantly be scanning the news and thinking, "how can we use the law to preserve our liberties?"
*Provide legal advice and strategic counsel within a broad scope of legal areas, including, constitutional, civil liberties, regulatory, administrative, defamation, and contract.
*Respond quickly to legal crises, including rapid drafting and filing of lawsuits, complaints and demand letters.
*Litigate in person and via Zoom.
*Appear with media partners to explain legal issues to Canadians.
*Member in good standing with the law society
*Minimum 0-5+ years (post call) of demonstrated litigation experience
*Excellent analytical, drafting, communication, and negotiation skills
*Preference is given to candidates who can work out of our Toronto office
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The successful candidates would report to TDF’s volunteer board.
The Democracy Fund (TDF) is a Canadian charity dedicated to civil liberties, education and humanitarian work. Its charitable mandate can be read in full at www.TheDemocracyFund.ca
TDF is looking for a project manager to oversee its charitable activities, including:
* conference and event planning
* internship programs and other student projects
* public education, including advertising
* teachers kits
* humanitarian projects
The ideal candidate will have experience and skills including:
* conference and event planning (booking venues, securing speakers, arranging travel and accommodations, and selling tickets)
* internship programs and other student projects (designing an application process; reviewing applicants; arranging and placing internships)
* public education, including advertising (producing "explainer” videos, designing polls and ad campaigns)
* teachers kits (designing and distributing age-appropriate educational kits to teachers and schools)
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The successful candidate would work from a Toronto office and would report to TDF’s volunteer board.